Who We Are
The Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada, or FINTRAC, is Canada's financial intelligence unit, a specialized agency created to collect, analyze and disclose financial information and intelligence on suspected money laundering and terrorist activities financing . Created in July 2000, the Centre is an integral part of our country's engagement in the global fight against money laundering and the financing of terrorist activities.
The Centre was created to detect and deter money laundering by providing critical information to support the investigation or prosecution of money laundering offences. In December 2001, this mandate was expanded to include the detection and deterrence of terrorist activity financing.
More specifically, FINTRAC's mandate is to:
- receive and collect reports on suspicious and prescribed financial transactions and other information relevant to money laundering and terrorist activities financing ;
- receive reports on the cross-border movement of large amounts of currency or monetary instruments;
- analyze and assess the information it receives;
- provide law enforcement financial intelligence that would be relevant to the investigation or prosecution of money laundering offences and terrorist activity financing offences as well as to provide CSIS with financial intelligence that would be relevant to threats to the security of Canada;
- ensure that personal information under its control is protected from unauthorized disclosure;
- ensure compliance by financial intermediaries and other reporting entities with their obligations under the Act and regulations; and
- enhance public awareness and understanding of matters related to money laundering and terrorist financing.
FINTRAC's Mission is to provide law enforcement and intelligence agencies with financial intelligence on money laundering, terrorist activity financing and threats to the security of Canada, while ensuring the protection of the information it holds.
Our Vision is to be a leader in providing timely and high quality financial intelligence in the global fight against money laundering and terrorist financing, and thereby contribute to the public safety of Canadians.
Head Office & Administration
|Toll Free:||1 800-465-0065|
360 Bay St., Suite #300
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2V6
U.S. Head Office
|Toll Free:||1 855-809-4600|
317 George Street, Suite #209
New Brunswick, NJ 08901